Whenever I do that character strengths test, you know the VIA one , my top characteristic is consistently Gratitude. I don’t know, maybe it comes from not having much in life when I was a child,* but I do find that I have a deep appreciation for all the wonderful people, opportunities and things I have in my life. Below are a few which immediately came to mind on this cold Thanksgiving morning.
- The sun that rises and sets each day with the ability to light up the sky in a new and magical way.
- Layers of clothing and heat to keep my family protected from extreme temperatures.
- Children who love to travel and are still willing, at times, to share adventures with me. On the occasions when they take off without me, I appreciate the confidence with which they approach the world, and the experiences they gain, almost just as much.
- My brother for just being there – always.
- Friends – those who I’ve known forever, as well as those who have joined my life in more recent years. Having such an array of people who share my interests, humor, and daily past times makes my life incredibly rich.
- The women who have provided me with their wisdom, strength and advice when my own parents were unavailable. They have given me gifts for which I can never adequately thank them.
- The men who have taught me what I want, need and expect from a relationship, even if it has been a lesson based upon what they could not provide. Special shout out to the one who makes me smile currently.
- Chances to travel to new places as well as revisit favorites. There’s so much to see!
- My crazy dog and the fat cat currently living in my house, both of whom always welcome and return my love enthusiastically.
- A refrigerator and pantry filled with food, a state I never take for granted.
- You, a person who takes time from your life to read about mine. Thank you for being here.
Happy Thanksgiving, all.
*I’m not suggesting we were starving or homeless, there just wasn’t much security or stability in my life when I was a child.